- Monday Zazen-Sitting Meditation 6:20 am
- Tuesday Zazen-Sitting Meditation 6:20 am
- Wednesday Zazen-Sitting Meditation 6:20 am
- Thursday Zazen-Sitting Meditation 6:20 am
- Friday Zazen-Sitting Meditation 6:20am
- Sunday Zazen-Sitting Meditation 9:00am
To avoid disturbing meditation, please arrive at least 10 minutes before the start of zazen. There is a short service after each period of zazen. All are welcome to attend zazen and there is no charge, though donations are gratefully accepted.
The first Sunday of each month is nikai zazen, a double sit:
- First zazen (sitting meditation) is from 8:10-8:50 am.
- Kinhin (walking meditation) is from 8:50-9:00 am
- Second zazen is from 9:00-9:40 am.
The session will then be concluded with a short chanting service. It is fine to just come for the second zazen, please enter the Zen Center quietly during kinhin and then take a seat in the sodo (meditation hall) at 9:00 am when kinhin ends and before the second period of zazen.
Classes in Soto Zen Buddhism take place on Tuesday evenings from 6:30 to 8:30. They include a group discussion and a period of meditation. Beginning in December 2019, the group will be reading and discussing the book Unfolding the Eight Fold Path, by Dale Verkuilin. After that we will finish the Commentaries, section 4 of Returning to Silence: Zen Practice in Daily Life by the late Soto Zen master Dainin Katagiri. New participants are welcome to join us at any time! For current information on the class, visit Tuesday Class.
For more information on weekly meditation, Double Sit Sundays and Buddhist classes contact the Iowa City Zen Center.
The Iowa City Zen Center Board meets every month on the second Wednesday of the month from 6-7 pm. All members of the sangha are welcome to attend.