REGULAR WEEKLY MEDITATION SCHEDULE
Since March 12, 2020, due to the presence of COVID-19 in our community, the Iowa City Zen Center Board substituted Zoom for in person sittings and services. On November 30, 2022, in person sittings resumed at 7:00 AM at the Zen Center location at 1025 Fairchild in Iowa City. Zoom sittings at 6:00 AM also continue, and access can be arranged by e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or reference to information on the Welcome page of this website.
Tuesday evening 6:30 PM classes occur over “Zoom” ONLY; Sunday 9:00 AM services are both in person and on Zoom.
We have continued Zoom sittings as follows, including after November 30, 2022:
- Monday Zazen-Sitting Meditation 6:00 am CST
- Tuesday Zazen-Sitting Meditation 6:00 am CST
Wednesday Zazen-Sitting Meditation 6:00 am CST
- Thursday Zazen-Sitting Meditation 6:00 am CST
Friday Zazen-Sitting Meditation 6:00 am CST
- Saturday Zazen-Sitting Meditation 6:00 am CST
- All of these morning sittings are hosted on ZOOM, with access parameters given on the Welcome Page.
- At 12 noon on many weekdays, a 40 minute sitting followed by brief koan study is hosted by David Shujo Thole. Contact information on the Welcome page.
- Sunday Zazen-Sitting Meditation 9:00 am CST, on a different ZOOM access, see Welcome Page.
To avoid disturbing meditation, on Zoom or in person, please arrive at least 10 minutes or so before the start of zazen. There is a short service after each period of zazen. All are welcome to attend zazen and there is no charge, though donations are gratefully accepted.
DOUBLE SIT SUNDAY
The first Sunday of each month is nikai zazen, a double sit: (This is currently suspended.)
- First zazen (sitting meditation) is from 8:10-8:50 am. Suspended
- Kinhin (walking meditation) is from 8:50-9:00 am Suspended
- Second zazen is from 9:00-9:40 am.
The session concludes with a short chanting service and online “tea”. (It is fine to just come for the second zazen, please enter the Zen Center quietly during kinhin and then take a seat in the sodo (meditation hall) at 9:00 am when kinhin ends and before the second period of zazen.)
Classes in Soto Zen Buddhism take place on Tuesday evenings from 6:30 to 8:00 PM Central Time USA. They include a group discussion and a period of meditation. Recently (July 2022) the group is reading” Living by Vow” by the Soto Zen master Shohaku Okumura. The class is offered currently via Zoom meeting. New participants are welcome to join us at any time! For current information and how to join the class, visit Tuesday Class page on this website.
For more information on weekly meditation, Double Sit Sundays and Buddhist classes contact the Iowa City Zen Center at email@example.com.
The Iowa City Zen Center Board meets every month on the second Wednesday of the month from 6-7 pm. All members of the sangha are welcome to attend. If you are a Sangha member and wish to observe via Zoom, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to request Zoom contact information for the meeting.